Calgary opened its first fully automated accessible apartment building named Inclusio. The building is for low-income single adults who have limited mobility. The building is different than other assisted living buildings. It is designed to help people with limited mobility live with less help from others by automating their daily tasks.
Inclusio is managed by the non-profit organization Accessible Housing. They believe that people may not be able to change their circumstances, but they do not have to be defined by them. Everyone, despite their abilities, has the right to live in a safe home and be part of a supportive community.
Some people only need help sometimes with their daily life while others need help on a regular basis. So, Inclusio has flexible supports and services. They work with each person to create an individual care and support plan.
For instance, some of the support services available at Inclusio include:
- Case management
- Recreational supports
- Dining services
- General cleaning and maintenance
When needed, care services are provided for daily care and unscheduled care needs. The care services help with many things, such as:
- Overnight care
Accessible Apartment Building and Individual Suite Features
Inclusio has 45 smart studio suites and many enticing building features, such as:
- Heated sidewalks so snow will not accumulate and paths stay clear
- Cabinets that open with touch
- Wide hallways
- Wide automatic doors
- Two elevators
- Shared common living spaces on each floor
- Patio spaces
- Common dining room
The private suites all have their own accessible washroom and kitchenette. Each suite also has a smart system built-in. People can use their phone or tablet to control their environment, such as:
- Security systems
- Entertainment packages (such as TV, movies, music)
The building’s rental fees are geared to each person’s income. Rental fees include many features, such as:
- A fully automated, barrier-free unfurnished suite
- Household supplies, such as hand soap, dish detergent, toilet paper, paper towel, laundry detergent, and vinyl gloves for care
- Dining services, including continental breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Laundry services
- Around the clock support and case management
In sum, by providing people with an automated accessible apartment to live, Inclusio has created a place where people can thrive, dream, and engage in their city. Other cities should take note of how Accessible Housing is creating a more inclusive community and how they can also follow suit.
© 2018, Best Brothers Group. All rights reserved.